I like ice cream but ice cream hates me. I am lactose intolerant and I’d love to go into all the disgusting details of what that means for my body but I won’t. I had to choose alternatives to dairy. My favorite nut milk is almond. I buy it or I make it myself with soaked almonds, spring water, a high speed blender and cheese cloth.
I have been making unsweetened lately but I have sweeten it with some dates and vanilla extract.
With this milk base I can make vegan and raw treats like soft serve ice dream, shakes, and puddings.
Almond Milk Recipe
· 1 c almonds (soaked in water overnight)
· 3 1\2 c of purified or spring water
· 4 dates (optional)
· 1 vanilla bean or tsp vanilla extract (optional)
· blender (high speed works faster)
· cheese cloth or nut milk bag (I have read that paint strainer bags work too)
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until mixture is white and frothy. Then strain it through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag in a deep wide mouth container. I use a large measure cup.
· 1c almond milk (or any raw, vegan milk)
· 1 and 1/2 frozen bananas
· 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean (cut in half and scoop out seeds)
· 2 ice cubes
· 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
· 2 tbsp maple syrup (or raw sweetener stevia, agave)
Vanilla Soft Serve Ice Dream (adapted from Raw Foods for Busy People)
· 2 frozen bananas
· 1/4 c almond milk ( or your favorite raw vegan milk)
· 2 tsp vanilla extract
· 2 tbsp maple syrup (or raw sweetener like stevia, agave)
Place all ingredients in food processor with s-blade and process until smooth.